Battery manufacturers advise a voltage higher than 13.8v is needed (a) to recharge a battery fully, and (b) to ensure that the lead plates inside its casing don’t suffer from the sulphate problems that can significanty shorten its working life. Battery manufacturers assert that a discharged, lead-acid battery needs an initial higher level of charge in order to cause ‘gassing’. This causes potentially explosive gases to be released from the battery acid, which is good for the plates and helps avoid that build-up of sulphate.
For this to happen what’s needed is a staged charger that senses the state of the battery and supplies the voltage that best suits that condition. A staged charger will sense the battery’s state, if its charge level is above a pre-set level it will supply the ‘normal’ or ‘float’ charge of 13.8v. But if it detects that the battery charge level is below the pre-set level, or is fully discharged, it will start charging with a ‘kick-start’ at over 14v and automatically switch back to 13.8v once it has detected the battery charge has risen out of the danger zone.
- Suitable for cars and vans up to 5.0L
- Fully Automatic – Easy to use and safe
- Suitable for 12V Lead acid and AGM Batteries
- Suitable for Start/Stop Vehicles
- Automatic detection of battery voltage and condition
- LED Display with 3 display options – Battery Voltage, Charging Current, % of Full battery capacity
- Automatic 9 stage charging cycle including Diagnosis, Charging and Reconditioning
- LED error indicator for reverse polarity, short or open circuit
- Overheat, over current and overcharge protection
- 1.5m leads with insulated crocodile clips
The Smart charging solution for
modern vehicle batteries
Cars, Vans, Motorhomes, Caravans,
Tractors and 4×4 Vehicles
How it Works
This is a true connect and forget automatic battery charger that optimizes the performance of almost all vehicle and leisure batteries via a unique 9 stage charging cycle.